Thursday, May 18, 2017

The reason we came

[S] Allan was off early to his conference which of course was the reason we came to Brisbane.

[A] The venue was about half an hour away. As far as public transport is concerned, while I prefer Melbourne’s trams and Sydney’s trains/underground, Brisbane’s system is not too bad. Fares are reasonable, and the buses on routes out of town have dedicated bus lanes, often in their own tunnels – meaning that the general traffic doesn’t slow them down so much, particularly at peak times.

[S] So this was my chance to shop – one of the reasons I came!

There was a little bit of drama to start my day. I was just out of the shower after a bit of a lie in, and there was a beeping noise which escalated until it penetrated my consciousness that it was a fire alarm. Panic – what could I throw on before the firemen came?! I made myself semi decent and was about to leave the room when the announcement came through the alarm system that they were investigating the cause of the alarm and we should stay put in the meantime. That gave me time to make myself fully decent and even run a comb through my wet hair and gather up the valuables. Then they announced it was a false alarm thankfully. The alarm continued for quite some time and the fire brigade attended, but fortunately no fire. By the way, there are no photos to accompany this story!!

Anyway, after the rude awakening, it was a pleasant day pottering through the shops and then trundling home with a few bags full!

No comments: