Sunday, April 13, 2008

The (long) Friday flight

This was a new experience for both of us, and I have to admit that I wasn’t looking forward to it. However, it wasn’t so bad. Had a light supper before settling down to sleep, and we both slept quite well, so we felt quite human when we touched down at Hong Kong, at 6 am local time. We walked the long departure wing, which went on for miles, but was good exercise (although we did use the travelators). Most of the shops were shut so still no shopping! We reboarded 1 ¾ hours later and had our 2nd breakfast of the day. Allan watched a lot of movies, it was great to be able to pick and choose when and what we watched, although I found that I fell asleep every time I started a movie!

My highlight was flying over the Himalayas and seeing mountain peaks piercing the clouds for miles and miles. It was spectacular and awe inspiring. Also quite amazing following the flight on the TV screen and seeing that Moscow was just a bit further to the north. Allan found it strange seeing the sun out of the left (i.e. south) window instead of the right when travelling east.
This leg of the flight certainly felt longer, I think because it was daylight. We had to circle at London for half an hour while the thunderstorms eased. It was a spooky looking out the window and seeing several other planes - in NZ we don’t usually share our airspace! Eventually touched down - Heathrow terminal 4 is not exactly salubrious!
London at last!

Arrived at the hotel around 5 pm. I was really hungry, and couldn’t figure out why, when we had had two breakfasts and lunch on the plane - forgot that we’d had a 26 hour day by the time we’d checked in. Wandered down Notting Hill and had dinner, before coming back. I fell asleep at 7.30 pm (on top of the bed) and slept through to 6.30 am. I obviously climbed in to bed some time in the night, but I have never slept like that before. Allan slept well too, so we’re raring to explore London today.

No comments: