Wednesday, March 27, 2013

More museums and lots of people

A bit slower to get going this morning (Tuesday) but since the wind has dropped, the wind chill factor has reduced, and there is no rain or snow.  Just a bit grey.

We were only going one stop on the tube this morning.  So funny how you quickly become a pro on the Underground but have no clue of distances overland.  Maybe we could have walked to the Victoria and Albert Museum, but we didn't!
This museum was completely different from the British Museum, but I really enjoyed it.  These places are so vast, the upkeep costs must be phenomenal.
There was a lot of old art and tapestries.  I enjoyed the fashion, furniture and jewellery displays - it made me wonder whether anything we own in our times would stand the test of time to be displayed in a museum in 500 years time.  Highly unlikely I think!  There was an interesting display of theatre and music memorabilia too.  The level of craftsmanship and sheer time it must have taken to create many of the items there are incredible.

We had lunch at the Museum - lovely food, but my goodness, the organisation was bizarre.  You had to queue separately for your sandwiches or hot food, your drinks and cakes, and then to pay.  And the queues were huge.  I reckon there was a good chance of your food going mouldy before you got through the queues!  It is mind-blowing to us humble Kiwis how many people there are everywhere you go, no matter what time of day it is.

I left Allan to go to the Science Museum on his own and nipped back to Leicester Square.  Minor diversion when I realised that Prince Charles was there - saw the red carpet, the cars, the security, the crowds, but not the Prince!
Much better choice of show tonight.  We watched Jersey Boys - so slick and polished, and thoroughly enjoyable.  [Allan: having seen this show, I have revised my rating of The Chorus Line - new rating 0.5 stars]

No comments: