Thursday, March 15, 2018

Punchbowl

[S] Today we took a bus to the Punchbowl – or the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.  It is one of those huge American cemeteries that have thousands of graves or ashes interred.  Mum and I went there 30 years ago on a little tour we did - I remember it because the brakes on the tour van failed coming down the hill and they had to send a replacement bus.

The Punchbowl is located in the crater of a volcano and the bus made heavy work of the very steep hill, and certainly my arthritic hips were challenged by the walk from the bus stop to the top of the hill!

I always find these big cemeteries quite moving places, and this was no exception.


There were spectacular views from Pearl Harbour right around to Diamond Head.


Dinner tonight was at the Cheesecake Factory which is an American chain.  It was huge – I reckon they must have been able to seat around 300 at a time, and there were queues when we arrived and even bigger ones when we left.  The meals were huge and spectacular.  We both really enjoyed our mains and the cheesecakes were amazing – I have half of mine in the fridge for tomorrow – Allan ate all of his, but he is waddling a bit now!

So 13,000 steps up and around the hills versus a big dinner – I wonder which will have the greater impact on the scales?

No comments: