Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Army Museum

[S] After a leisurely breakfast, we wandered [A: by bus!] down to the US Army Museum at Fort DeRussy, which is right on the waterfront in downtown Waikiki.  This was a smallish exhibition of photos and items from Pearl Harbour and the Korean and Vietnam wars. It was an interesting insight and an easy way to pass a morning. We’ve booked a trip to Pearl Harbour for Friday so good to learn a bit of background info.

We sat in the sun under a palm tree (as you do) for a while...

... and then wandered through the Hilton Hawaii Village, which is a five-tower hotel which must house many thousands of guests at a time, and which has every amenity you could wish for and plenty of shops.  The grounds were beautiful – very lush and tropical.  We even found the ice cream shop which Mum and I went to 30 years ago, so lunch was a single cone for me and a double for Allan.

The rest of the day was devoted to book shops – one of the things Allan likes to do on overseas holidays is to check out what is in stock in local book shops – he bought a few!

I was given my first ‘senior’ discount today.  I was at the checkout when the operator politely asked if I was over 55 and gave me a 10% discount on my purchases when I said yes.  Can’t be bad!

No comments: