Saturday, August 6, 2016

Refractions and reflections

[A] We’re now sitting in the airport lounge waiting for our flight home.  Just the pleb lounge, not the Business Class or even the Qantas Club, sad to say.

Our flight is the late one arriving near midnight in Wellington, so we had time for a final look around Sydney.  Our first destination for the day was an arbitrary one – jump on the first available train, go to the end of the line, and see what’s there.  So we ended up in Cronulla, and headed for the beach.
Lots of surfers in the water, even though the beach was ‘closed’ due to dangerous surf.
Plenty of cafes and restaurants at Cronulla, and we found one that had home-made yummy pies (and chocolate caramel slices of course).

[S] It was fun to choose a random destination since we had seen everything on our bucket list and had a few hours to fill in before heading out to the airport. Although the sea was stormy, the sky was blue and it was a lovely wander along the promenade.  Allan did find a 2nd hand book shop and succumbed to two books (this after squeezing our suitcases shut this morning!)

[A] Back in the CBD – I headed for ‘Sculpture at Barangaroo’ (Millers Point/Barangaroo Reserve), where today was the first day of a two-week outdoor art exhibition.  Well done Sydney, it was excellent.  My favourites were the ‘Construction Bangaroo’ on the top of the hill by an ex-Wellingtonian…
and ‘Horizon’, a water-filled acrylic globe…
[S] I opted for a last trip to the shops (one tiny purchase!) and a sit-down.  I clocked up 18,736 steps yesterday so I thought I deserved it.  Most of those were spent looking for a restaurant for our final dinner that was a) open, b) not full of inebriated yuppies and c) had a table for us.  Ended up back at Darling Harbour, with a nice Italian meal of pork belly (!) for me.

[A] Pasta and then tiramisu for me!
[S] It was showery again – Sydney had had its average August rainfall by the 3rd, so not the best time to come, but it hasn’t spoilt our holiday.

[A] Impressions of Sydney – I got to know the CBD much better than I had on previous visits: LOTS of road-works and building construction;
interesting mix of old and new construction; new construction not always completely sympathetic to the old in my opinion;
views of the Bridge...
and the Opera House...
from everywhere – they are very photogenic icons, and so I indulged, from all sorts of angles...
[S] And I was surprised that the CBD virtually shut down at the weekends – obviously hospo in Sydney is aimed at the workers, and only Circular Quay and Darling Harbour are happening places all the time.  Had a great time [A: me too!], but Melbourne still has my heart as an Aussie destination!

No comments: