Sunday, April 28, 2013

Experiences to savour

What did we see?

  • London: museums
  • South-westish France: castles, caves, cuisine, churches and medieval villages
  • Loire Valley: chateaus
  • Normandy: English/French history, from Joan of Arc to William the Conqueror to D-Day landings
  • Paris: museums and monuments
  • Singapore: family, who are also friends, in a completely different environment

Theme highlights in France?

  • Medieval villages
  • Food
  • Old churches
  • D-Day landing beaches

Most enjoyable experience not already reported?

Most churches in France are left open for the public to wander in.  In one little village (whose name I no longer know), I attempted to go inside an old, interesting-looking church, but the door was locked. An old lady walking past asked me if I wanted to go inside.  After I replied "yes", she asked me to wait outside the front door, and she would get the key and unlock it for me.  She then disappeared for several minutes, and I was beginning to wonder if I had misunderstood her (bear in mind that our conversation had been carried out entirely in French).  Then the door suddenly opened from inside, and I enjoyed a personal tour of a lovely old church!  Enjoyment factor = (lovely church) * (kind old lady) * (successful conversation in French).

Overall highlights?

  • Better appreciation of the 'real' France
  • Sense of French history
  • Sharing fantastic new experiences with my best friend (yeah, yeah, bring out the violins)

2 comments:

Ash said...

Welcome home! We really enjoyed reading the blog - guess you'll have to go on another trip soon!

The McPs said...

Next week works for me!